Concussion rumour added to Castillo tragedy
Manny Castillo update archive:
Friday May 11
Saturday May 12
Monday May 14
Tuesday May 15
Louie Rosella, writing in yesterday's Mississauga News, adds this wrinkle that may-or-may-not have affected "what really happened":
Concussion could have been early warning for teen
Should Manny Castillo have been playing in the rugby game that ultimately cost him his life?
Maybe not, especially if he suffered a concussion at an earlier date, according to medical experts and parents. [...]
There's widespread speculation among Castillo's friends that the 15-year-old Lorne Park Secondary School rugby player sustained a concussion in the weeks prior to last Wednesday's match against Erindale Raiders.
In the May 9 game, Castillo clashed with a player on the Raiders and subsequently suffered a head injury. He was pronounced dead in hospital last Friday. A 16-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the case.
Manny's father, Manuel Castillo, and the boy's uncle, Hector Castillo, wouldn't discuss any potential injury the teen may have sustained prior to last week.
"We really can't comment on that because there is still a police investigation going on," said Hector Castillo.
More than a half-dozen Lorne Park students have told The News that Castillo sustained a concussion last month while playing sports, but some said he had told them that his doctor cleared him to play.
Read the whole story here.