Friday, March 30, 2007

Australian Union withdraws Mark Gasnier offer

May 11, 2006

From Radio Australia, via NZH:

ARU withdraws Gasnier offer

11.05.06 8.00am

The Australian Rugby Union has withdrawn its offer to rugby league international Mark Gasnier to switch codes.

Gasnier had been given until 3:00 pm yesterday afternoon to respond to the offer.

However, with St George Illawarra putting together a counter-offer, Gasnier's manager announced that there would be no decision made by Gasnier for at least a week.

Despite withdrawing the offer, ARU chief executive Gary Flowers said he had not shut the door on Gasnier switching codes.

"Well, we've said this offer is withdrawn," he said.

"If we get a phone call we'll deal with it on its merits, but in this point in time our offer is withdrawn."

Wallabies coach John Connolly said he was sure Gasnier would have been a success in rugby union if he had decided to accept an offer to join the 15-man game.

Connolly said he was disappointed the St George-Illawarra back had not made the switch.

"The Rogers', the Tuqiri's, the Sailors', have all adapted quickly and there is no reason to think that he wouldn't have," he said.

"From a rugby point of view we are disappointed but it would have been a very hard decision for him. I was very impressed with him as a man, I thought he was genuine.

"And you never know what's going to happen down the road."


You thought he was genuine, hmmm?


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home