Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Desperate times at Twickenham

March 26, 2006

Is Clive Woodward negotiating to take over England's panicked national rugby team?

Former England centre Will Greenwood, writing in his column in Saturday's Daily Telegraph, claims that discussions between the RFU and Woodward "have been taking place for several months" and that "negotiations have intensified in recent weeks" in the wake of England's disappointing showing during the Six Nations.

The RFU categorically denies the rumour.

The Rugby Football Union yesterday moved swiftly to deny vigorously reports that discussions had taken place with Sir Clive Woodward about a return to rugby.

Chief executive Francis Baron said: "There is absolutely no truth in claims made by Will Greenwood in today's Daily Telegraph that Sir Clive Woodward has been approached to return to the RFU.

"As announced, we are in the middle of an all-embracing review of England's RBS Six Nations performance and no decisions will be made until the completion of that review.

"It is also important to stress that Sir Clive is in a senior position under contract to another organisation and we would not dream of approaching him without talking to that organisation first.

"I shall be writing to the chairman of Southampton on Monday to make it clear that, contrary to media speculation, we have not made any approach to his employee."

Martyn Thomas, chairman of the RFU management board, also denied that there had been "discussions between senior members of the Rugby Football Union and Sir Clive Woodward about him taking charge of England's defence of the World Cup next year". Nor were any such discussions planned, he said.

Nevertheless, this is a time of intense rumours and postulation, and it would still be wise not to rule Woodward out entirely.


Source: The Telegraph


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home