Thursday, March 29, 2007

Frustrated ex-USA coach Tom Billups hits back

April 21, 2006

Rugby Planet interviews disgruntled former USA men's national team head coach Tom Billups, who comes out swinging with some choice words.

Excerpts:

"We're out of time. I feel the team has been put at risk and I no longer find it acceptable to watch the team be under-resourced." ...

"This [resignation] is a stand against the lack of accountability and the ineffectiveness of our administration." ...

"It's effort and attitude as well. I've never had a relationship with the CEO. I've tried on numerous occasions, but there's a lack of communication therefore there's zero trust. As a result, I have no confidence in the promises of support. It is also insulting when the administration says that they could raise sponsorship if the team were better. Somehow the players - who sacrifice everything - are being blamed for the lack of commercial success. The players face a hard job every time they take the field. They've never shirked their responsibilities. They deserve the same commitment from the leadership of the rugby union. Instead, there's a lack of appreciation for what's required for our national team to be competitive." ...

"[T]here's been a lot of talk but no action. There have been a lot of different plans and a parade of expensive consultants, but there's been no implementation. This isn't about replacing the BSkyB deal (the Eagles' expired broadcast contract). Everyone recognizes that was a unique home run. But we've also hit a lot of doubles and singles in the past with sponsors like adidas who gave us cash as well as kit and the likes of APL, Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey, Land's End, and Men's Wearhouse. Those deals were out there for ten years, but someone has to close them and we've had no results of late. This is where the administration has been most dishonest. They throw their collective hands in the air and say the BSkyB deal was not replaceable. I am here to say that we had another several hundred thousand dollars in sponsorships that was replaceable with an honest effort. Canada did no better than us in the 2003 Rugby World Cup and their sponsorship list has improved considerably." ...

"[I]f you choose to abandon the national team part of your mission, you don't get to criticize that team for a lack of performance against Tier 1 nations." ...

"I don't know any other sporting organization in the world that would classify ticket sales from money-losing events as sponsorship. I do know I'm not comfortable spending money that apparently we don't have in the bank. The outgoing treasurer voiced concern that the 2006 budget was approved without the money to cover it. So when I talk to our travel agent who has done nothing but help the team for many, many years, I ask myself: 'How do I book tickets if I'm not sure that we can pay for them?'" ...

"I'm confident [the USA Eagles] can have a bloody good team this season despite the lack of support. I want deeply for the team to be successful, this year, and in the future. The USA Rugby administration will change in time and all aspects of American rugby will improve."

Read the rest.


EARLIER: USA Rugby: Tom Billups resigns as coach of U.S. national team

AND: Doug Arnot To Step Down As CEO of USA Rugby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home