Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Jonah Lomu on the comeback trail

December 9, 2005

Arguably still the world's most famous rugby player, Jonah Lomu will be thrown into action tomorrow for the Cardiff Blues in their Heineken Cup rugby match against Italian side Calvisano.

The 30-year-old former All Blacks winger, who has had a kidney transplant, hasn't played since he suffered a shoulder injury in Martin Johnson's testimonial match in June. The giant winger and star of the 1995 and 1999 World Cups still dreams about returning to the All Blacks and fulfilling his dream of a World Cup championship.

"This is a stepping stone in the right direction for me," Lomu told BBC Sport Wales.

"Digging through the pain barrier time after time breeds mental toughness. Mentally I know I'm there and physically I'm not too far off.

"My personal targets at the moment are only week by week, I'll grow my game and conditioning and work on my weaknesses.

"There's nothing too long-term at the moment, but I want to be ready to hit the ground running when I get home [to New Zealand].

"I got a taste of the World Cup, reaching the final in 1995 and the semi-final in 1999.

"But that's left something missing in my life, it's about finishing a dream and winning a World Cup.

"I've already reached a level people never thought I would get to again. Saturday is just the start of the new Jonah."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home